ADOBE DE PALOMARES

The Palomares Adobe is Open to the Public:

Sundays  2:00 - 5:00 P.M.

Closed Easter, Memorial Day, Labor Day and Thanksgiving weekends.

Schools and community groups may arrange for guided tours of during non-public hours. Special attention is given to allow children to identify with the past.

491 E. Arrow Highway, Pomona CA, 91767

Telephone: The site's answering machine is (909) 620-0264 or reach us more quickly at the society's office (909) 623-2198

The Site is designated by the State Park Commission as Historical Landmark No. 372.  Trained docents are provided by the Historical Society of Pomona Valley.

The above  bronze plaque was stolen in 2008. 

Windows in an Old Adobe by Bess Adams Garner is an out of print book about the Palomares Adobe and the life in the early ranch days of the Pomona Valley/ Inland Empire. The Historical Society has reprinted this important book. It is a limited edition with each of the copies individually numbered.  Information on how to purchase a copy is available here


What is the Palomares Adobe's historical significance?

Adobe de Palomares was the 13 room home of Don Ygnacio Palomares and his wife, Dona Concepcion Lopez de Palomares. The Palomares and Vejar families owned the Rancho San Jose, which covered eastern Los Angeles county, some 150 years ago. The land now covers many cities of the Pomona Valley of Southern California, including Pomona, LaVerne, San Dimas, Diamond Bar, Azusa, Covina, Walnut, Glendora, and Claremont

A Gold Rush Home:

The home was started as the new home of a successful Mexican rancher. Its construction phase was from 1850 to 1854. This was the period of the great California gold rush, that was accompanied by California statehood . The house represents the meeting of two cultures: Mexican-era adobe construction combined with American influenced technology, seen in the use of milled roofing and flooring.

Adobe de Palomaras- outside view

Palomares Family and the Adobe:

Don Ygnacio passed away on November 25, 1864. Gradually as the years became decades and almost a century passed, the once proud structure disintegrated into crumbling ruins. In 1934, recognizing the great historic value in preserving for posterity the memory of its glamorous past, the Society acquired the homesite.

Now authentically restored to its original form and appearance, except for the interior of the north wing which housed the kitchen, dining room and storeroom, Adobe de Palomares is one of California's important historical landmarks. Through the initiative of the Historical Society of Pomona Valley in cooperation with the Federal Government, the municipality and numerous civic-minded groups and individuals, following its restoration, the Adobe was reopened to the public on April 6, 1940.

South Wing Childerns Bedroom   bcg
Restored Children's' Bedroom

The furnishings, all in accord with the style of the period, have been assembled from the length and breadth of Southern California, forming one of the finest collections of early days to be found anywhere. Many of the articles are precious heirlooms of descendants of the early families who have generously loaned or donated them.

The Present Site:

The Adobe is more than a museum or a restored building. Its rooms and gardens allow us to be taken back in time and to see the adobe as it was lived in, during a very special period, 150 years ago. This was a crucial period in California history, as the American annexation of the state brought tremendous changes to the Palomares family and their contemporaries.

Master Bed Room
Master Bedroom Fireplace

Room has restored pottie in bed stairs unit.
Master Bedroom Bed

Much corn was ground here.
Kitchen Utensils Show Much About Daily Living.

The Gardens:

Even the landscaping of the spacious courtyard and gardens have been reproduced in accurate detail according to findings of painstaking research. The grounds can be seen today with their original charm and beauty. A special part of the garden is the herb garden. The herbs were important for seasoning and were the source of medical remedies. Knowledge of medical herbs was important and is reflected in the selection of present plants in the active herb garden.

A wonderful porch.
Porch of Master Living Area

The Important Blacksmith shop The Blacksmith Shop:

An important part of the Adobe is the Blacksmith shop. It was used for shoeing horses and the maintenance of ranch equipment including saws, pots and buggies.
 

House of Hospitality:

Local members of the Gabrielino (or Tongva) peoples were set to work making the great quantity of adobe bricks and hauling timbers from the mountains. In 1854 the Adobe de Palomares with its thirteen rooms, canvas cloth ceiling and shake roof, was finished. Part of the Adobe was lived in as the rest was being finished. One can well imagine that the house warming was truly an event to be long remembered!

The Living and Entertaining area of the Adode.

With its greater facilities for entertainment of visitors, the adobe soon became known as the "House of Hospitality" since Don Ygnacio and his wife Dona were generous and hospitable.

As a popular regional rendezvous, the casa drew memorable gatherings of the first families of the entire Southland, coming on horseback and in their carretas to take part in the fiestas, barbecues, spirited dances. These festivities were a contrast to the hard work of raising cattle and crops on an enormous ranch.

Many weddings and births were celebrated and deaths recorded at the Adobe with the passing of years. The present day visitor gains a vivid picture of both the pleasures and agonies of the era.

Adobe de Palomares, to add to its busy round of activity, was an important stop on the San Bernardino stage route, where passengers could obtain food and relaxation from the bumps and jolts of the long and dusty road. Many an exhausted immigrant party and foot-sore wanderer found a resting place here.