Currier House

No resident of the Pomona Valley was more widely known throughout California than A.T. Currier. None have wielded a more potent influence in affairs that make for the upbuilding of a community and the development of its resources. He was the leading citizen of the Pomona Valley until his death in 1928 and was greatly loved by all with whom he came in contact, young and old. Fred B. Palmer wrote "He became famous for his philanthropy and political leadership, farmed profitable, and was a good neighbor to rich and poor alike."

Mr. Currier was born on April 30, 1840 in Franklin County Maine to Alvan and Nancy Clough Currier. His father served as a State Senator in Maine and held other official positions. For a short time upon completion of his education Mr. Currier taught school. He came to California for the first time in 1861- 1862 but it was not until the spring of 1869 that he came to Los Angeles County with $30,000 and purchased the ranch. On March 20, 1881 Senator Currier married Mrs. Susan Glen Rubottom, the widow of James Rubottom. In 1907 the Curriers began construction on their large home which now sits on the Phillips Mansion site. The architect was Ferdinand Davis and the cost of the home was 12,000.

In 1881 Mr. Currier was elected Sheriff of Los Angeles County and served for two terms. In 1898 he was elected to the State Senate from the thirty-eighth district and served for many years. Frank Brackett states in reference to Senator Currier,"He can retire with the knowledge that he has done his full share in making this section a better place in which to live."

In 2004 the Historical Society was given Currier House by the City of Industry, which also paid for the cost of relocation. The building was relocated to the Phillips Mansion property and almost immediately was the setting for the Tobe Hooper film The Mortuary. Plans for restoration of Currier House are ongoing.


Phillips Mansion


Built in 1875, the mansion is the only "Second Empire" or Classic Haunted Mansion architectural style home in Southern California. The style typified the beginning of American and European style over the existing Californio lifestyle. The three-story brick house was a very forward-looking house for its time and unlike any other in the area. It was the first home in Pomona to be built with fired bricks, the bricks being made on the spot by a pioneer brick maker of Los Angeles, Joseph Mulally. At a cost of over $20,000, the eight-room house contained all the modern conveniences one could ask for. The mansion was fitted with gas lighting (the first in the valley to do so), had three-foot thick walls, ceilings sixteen feet high and a total of six fireplaces! All the woodwork was of the finest cherry and maple. The mansion was situated on a 12,000 acre ranch with several barns and outbuildings. Louis Phillips lived in the home for twenty-five years until his death. His wife lived in the home until 1918.

Other than the Adobes, this post-Civil War Victorian style home is the oldest in Pomona Valley. Located in Spadra, now a part of Pomona, the site selected as this rancho village was the social and trade center of that time. In addition to being at the crossroads of the horse drawn stage coach and freighter lines, the Southern Pacific Railroad completed its rail line from Los Angeles to Spadra on January 21, 1874. Since passing from the Phillips family ownership many years ago, the house has survived a number of different ownerships- even becoming an apartment house. Later, an industrialist bought the property and planned to tear down the house to build a factory. The Historical Society of Pomona Valley was able to intervene, purchasing the house and grounds in 1966 to save and restore the Mansion to its original beauty.

In October of 2006 the Phillips will again be opened to explore one of the most frightening Victorian themes. For more information on this exciting and terrifying event, visit premature-burial.com

Funds from the events are used for historical restoration projects.