Now Available: Historic Pomona Throw

Depicting Pomona's spirit of the past and present, blending the tapestry of time into a sensational future. The throw is wonderfully woven cotton tapestry of high grade yarn and is machine washable and dryable. It is approximately 4 by 6 feet in size and sells for $60 plus tax. We are expecting a shipment soon.

Purchase at our museum gift shoppe located at 585 East Holt Avenue in Pomona and are open Wednesday through Friday from 1-5 p.m.


Description of Images:

LEFT ROW

La Casa Primera de Rancho San Jose
1569 North Park Avenue
Pomona, California
The Casa was the first home of Don Ygnacio Palomares, who along with Don Ricardo Vejar, was one of the original grantees of the Rancho San Jose.  The Casa was built in 1837 and was the first residential dwelling in the Pomona Valley.  The Palomares family lived here for seventeen years before moving to the larger Adobe de Palomares site.  In 1867 the Palomares' son Don Francisco occupied the Casa.  He discovered the first artesian well and planted orange trees, some of which still survive on the property.  The old stone-lined water ditch is still visible. Don Francisco was known for his involvement in several civic activities, including the school board.  After a succession of owners, in 1973 the City of Pomona purchased the Casa.  In 1986 the adobe was restored by the Society with the help of the California Historic Preservation Grant, plus financial assistance from the City.  The adobe won the 1991 "Design Award" given by the California Preservation Foundation.  It is furnished with authentic 19th Century furnishings by the Historical Society of Pomona Valley, Inc.  The Casa features sod adobe construction, one and one half stories, gabled roof, and front and side wrap around porch.

The Fox Theater
114 West Third Street
Pomona, California
The Fox Theater first opened its doors on April 23, 1931.  The new cinema palace was welcomed enthusiastically with a gala celebration marked by appearances by Hollywood stars, city officials and executives of Fox West Coast Theaters, Inc.  The theater is an attractive and efficient structure done in the crisp, glittering art deco style popular in that era.  The lighted marquee welcomed audiences into a spacious foyer carpeted in silver and rose, complete with snack bar, a curving staircase to the mezzanine and filigreed balustrades.  The theater proved a versatile and ample facility for everything from chamber quartet to a Broadway musical.  In 1957 the theater received a $60,000 facelift which included installation of a new box office, re-carpeting, recovering all of the seats.  In 1971 the American Film Institute included the Fox on its list of the ten best old movie houses in Southern California.  It closed in 1977 and was only used intermittently until 1998 when it was leased by a very controversial group who conduct, among other events, rave parties for teens and young adults.  The current tenant has heavily damaged the building by removing many items from the interior, including the snack bar.  Concerned citizens of Pomona have on numerous occasions appealed to the City Council to stop the current operations of the Fox Theater.  The matter is still pending.  The theater was placed on the National Registry of Historical Landmarks in 1981.

The Dan and Joan McIntire Home
357 East Pasadena Street
Pomona, California
This lovely Queen Anne Victorian home was constructed in 1895 by John and Elizabeth Weber who were the proprietor's of Pomona Soda Works and the Pomona Valley Ice Cream Concession.  The original location of the house was 385 W. Holt Avenue.  In October of 1987 the home was moved to its present location.  The architectural features include a sunburst motif with turnings on all four sides of the gables.  The siding details include fish-scale shingles and beveled redwood clapboards.  The upper front windows   feature hoods with carved detail.  All of the windows feature a carved wheat design in the upper corners with most of the windows being double hung.  The front porch has turned spindle posts and carved brackets.  A bay window on the west side supports an open balcony.  The porch/balcony on the east side of the home was added in 1910 using the same type of spindles and brackets as those used in the front porch.

Lincoln Park Home
394 East Lincoln Avenue
Pomona, California
This stately Craftsman Bungalow was built in 1909 and is one of the larger homes across the street from Lincoln Park.  The original owner was Mark H. Potter who owned Pomona Reality, Co.  In 1919 Roy H. Carter of R. H. Carter Motor Agency Cadillac and Nash Automobiles and his wife Dorothy, lived in the home.  The home uses a combination of wood shingles and clapboard siding throughout.  The second floor front gable has lath vent work and decorative carved beam ends.  Double hung multi-paned windows are used throughout the home.  A large open porch is above the first floor porch.  Stucco-clad railing piers support the tapered square columns.  The supporting rafters feature exposed beam ends and dentil work.  The mature eucalyptus and pines continue the overall ambiance of the back to nature philosophy of the Craftsman style.

Pomona Valley YMCA
350 North Garey Avenue
Pomona, California
Pomona was the first city in California to start a campaign for a new YMCA building after the Armistice of World War I.  Construction on the beautiful Mission style building began in 1920.  The red brick building was designed by the popular architect Robert Orr.  Over $50,000 in goods and services were donated to help offset the $300,000 cost of the building.  The total cost of the building was more than twice the original estimate.  Dedication ceremonies were held in April of 1922.  During the years of World War II, over one hundred servicemen per day used the facility for the showers and the "Buddy Bed" program.  The YMCA has served the families of the Pomona Valley on a continuous basis for more than seventy years.  The interior of the building has been modified numerous times to meet the changing needs of its members.  The building now houses two gymnasiums, an Olympic size swimming pool, and two exercise rooms with the latest equipment.  The upstairs living facilities are used primarily as lodging for students at the nearby medical school.  The beautiful exterior and grounds have remained largely unchanged.

Phillips Mansion
2640 West Pomona Boulevard
Pomona, California
In 1863, Louis Phillips was hired by creditors of Don Ricardo Vejar to oversee the rancho.  In 1866 Louis Phillips purchased the ranch for $30,000.  In 1875 he built the three story Mansion on the site in the style identified as Second Empire (Napoleon III).  It was the first brick building in the vicinity.  In the 1960's the Historical Society of Pomona Valley began the restoration, completely furnished the interior authentically in the later Victorian style, and maintained the site for public viewing.  In 1990 the building was heavily damaged by the earthquake and has been closed to the public for many years.  The restoration is now complete on the outside and work will begin on the inside in the near future.

RIGHT ROW

Adobe de Palomares
491 East Arrow Highway
Pomona, California
The Palomares Adobe was the second home built by Don Ygnacio Palomares on his northern portion of the Rancho San Jose in 1854.  The one story, L-shaped building containing thirteen rooms was built in the ranch-house style.  It features a corridor around the outer perimeter, a shingle shake roof and sailing-cloth ceilings.  The Adobe and stagecoach stop was known as the "House of Hospitality".    The Adobe was abandoned for many years until it was taken over by the City of Pomona in 1930 and restored through community efforts.  The restoration was completed in 1940.  Most of the rooms are authentically furnished with many items belonging to the original adobe.  The site is maintained and opened to the public by the Historical Society of Pomona Valley, Inc.
 

Lincoln Park Home- Bruin
515 East Lincoln
Pomona, California
This stately home on the east side of Lincoln Park is one of two Spanish influenced homes.  The two story stucco-clad house is roofed with red clay tiles.  The most distinctive features are the two window areas covered by latticed stucco.  A cantilevered second story room is over the main entry.  On the second story, a wrought iron balcony is hung with access from French doors.  Noland Morris originally built the home in 1930 for John and Grace Todd at a cost of $12,000.  Mr. Todd was a co-owner of Todd and Reeves Funeral Home, which is still in operations on Garey Avenue in Pomona.

Ebell Club
585 East Holt
Pomona, California
The Ebell Club was organized in 1897 and is Pomona's oldest women's organization.  The members met in churches and other borrowed spaces until they were able to raise the funds to build the club house on the corner of Pearl and Garey.  The building was completed in 1910 with the opening ceremony being held on Thursday evening, October 13, 1910.  The original grounds comprised a half block.  The original building contained a reception hall, parlor, dining room, large kitchen, dressing rooms, and an auditorium two stories in height, seating 300 people for dinning and dancing.  The cost of the original building and grounds was eleven thousand dollars.  The building was moved to its present location on Holt in 1922 and the cornerstone for an auditorium was laid on March 7, 1924.  This beautiful facility is available to the public for receptions and meetings by calling 909-622-2911. In February of 2005 the facility was Given to the Historical Society of Pomona Valley to be used as their headquarters, the Pomona Ebell Museum of History and for continued rentals.

Lincoln Park Home
446 East Jefferson Avenue
Pomona, California
This lovely Georgian Colonial Revival home, built in 1926, was the home of banker Raymond Smith, Vice President of First National Bank of Pomona, located on the corner of Second and Main.  The Hamilton family, owners of the Hamilton Drug Stores, also owned the home in the early 1950's.  Its special features include oak flooring and mahogany windows, marble inset mantel, coved ceiling, central staircase with Paladin style window, stately columns and covered porte-cochere.  The grounds feature fragrant rose and herb gardens.

Pilgrim Congregational Church
600 North Garey
Pomona, California
  This beautiful red brick Gothic work of art was created by Two architects, Robert Orr and Ferdinand Davis, created this beautiful red brick Gothic work of art at a cost of $107,573.  The dedication ceremony was held on May 25, 1912.  I. N. Sanborn completed the masonry work.  J. R. Rudy of the Los Angeles Art Glass Company fashioned the beautiful stained glass windows.  A disastrous fire in 1925 badly damaged the church, resulting in much restoration and the addition of memorial chimes.  In 1954 the tower was rebuilt after the congregation learned the bricks were loose and endangering the sanctuary.  The church's features include the dole stained glass window on the north side of the sanctuary and the Frazy window on the south side.  The 800-seat church contains the original 1902 organ, which has been dedicated as the Frank W. Cunnings organ in honor of the former music director and organist who contributed his musical talent to the church for over fifty years.  It is one of the largest organs in the Southwest.
 

Margary and Lynn Honaker Home
2845 North Towne Avenue
Pomona, California
This lovely Victorian farmhouse was built in 1892 by the Ogle Family, who was originally from Illinois.  The home was purchased by C. T. Naftel in 1906 and has remained in the same family since.  Margary and Lynn Honaker have lived in the home since 1932.  Although the home has been modified throughout the years, it retains many of it Victorian qualities which include the full wooden front porch, fish scale shingles, spindles, brackets and multi-pane windows.   The home is surrounded by a variety of beautiful mature landscaping as found in the citrus orchard, cypress trees and camellias which complement this
 stately home.
 CENTER ROW

Post Card of Early Pomona
This lovely post card of early Pomona, found in the Special Collections Section of the Pomona Library, shows the snowcapped mountains in the background with the orange trees laden with ripe oranges in the fore ground.

Pomona, Goddess of Fruits and Flowers
This lovely depiction of Pomona, the Goddess of Fruits and Flowers for whom the city was named, is an Orange Crate Label of Brogdex Fruit.  Brogdex shipped the fruit     grown and packaged by Pomona Fruit Growers Association.  The central administrative offices for Brogdex, who now ship all over the world,  continue to be located in the City of Pomona

 Abraham Lincoln School
1200 North Gordon Street
Pomona, California
Lincoln School was the first earthquake resistant building constructed in Pomona in 1936 at a cost of $118,000 by contractor O. H. Hauser.  It is famous for being the last word in school construction and is the oldest school in the Pomona district still conducting classes.  This striking example of the California mission style of the 20's and 30's was designed by Pasadena architects, Marston and Maybury.  The tile-roofed structure with its bell tower features all maple flooring, ten classrooms, kindergarten department, cafeteria, kitchen, offices and store rooms.  The Auditorium is built of reinforced concrete while the rest of the school is of frame construction with a smooth stucco finish.  Bricks from the old Garey Avenue School, named because the school faced Garey Avenue, were re-used in the wall surrounding the perimeter and playground.

Red Car Trolley
This photograph of the Red Car is from a post card found in the Special Collections Section of the Pomona Library.  It shows the Red Car which once provided public transportation for Pomona residents, as it travels through one of the tree lines streets of beautiful Pomona.