ADOBE DE PALOMARES

HISTORY AND LEGACY

      The Adobe de Palomares Museum stands at the site where, from 1850 to 1854, Ygnacio and Concepción Palomares constructed a thirteen room house. The home represents the many changes occurring in California during the period. Houses were commonly constructed with adobe bricks, which provided climate control and could be made with local materials. As a result of expanding transportation routes in the early American era, valley residents also had access to milled lumber. The Palomares family used both: adobe for the walls, and lumber for the floors and ceiling.


      The house had two wings which stretched north and south. They met at a central building which contained the living room and two large bedrooms. The family often hosted guests and the adobe soon became known as the “House of Hospitality.” The Adobe had many visitors, including weary travelers from the San Bernardino stagecoach route and local Catholics who came to meet with visiting priests.

ADDRESS

491 E. Arrow Hwy.,
​Pomona CA, 91767
(Arrow & Orange Grove)

HOURS

Temporarily Closed

Available for private events

RESERVATION REQUIRED

No,​ except for school tours or private events

YEAR BUILT

1854

ARCHITECTURE STYLE

Spanish Colonial

Adobe Exterior