HISTORY AND LEGACY
The Palomares family lived in the house for seventeen years. In 1867, Francisco Palomares, the son of Ygnacio Palomares (who built the home), and his wife Donna Lujardo Alvarado, moved to La Casa Primera where they stayed until Francisco passed in 1882. While living there, Francisco discovered the first artesian well in the valley and began planting orange trees. Some of them survive on the site today. In 1874, Francisco, Cyrus Burdick, and P.C. Tonner formed the Old Settlement Water Company. The original open canal or ‘zanja’, crossed Old Settlers Lane and continued to a reservoir near Holt Ave. Portions of the stone-lined ditch are still visible today.
After California statehood was granted in 1851, the area was divided into townships. In 1854, the Palomares moved to a new home, Adobe de Palomares. In 1866, Dr. Benjamin S. Nichols, President of the newly formed Pomona Land and Water Company, purchased the land. In 1947, Roscoe Hart bought the property. The Casa was later purchased by the Historical Society in 1973. Shortly afterwards, it was fully restored and placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
1569 N. Park Ave.,
Pomona CA, 91768
(Park & McKinley)
Some Sundays- See
The first dwelling of its type built in the valley. Made of adobe bricks and stucco. Interior chimneys and a wide front porch. The thatched roof was initially constructed out of raw logs with a cloth draped under it to catch dirt and dust. The floor was originally made of patched mud. The house had two rooms when it was first constructed