HISTORY AND LEGACY
The Phillips Mansion, located in what was formerly the town of Spadra, was home to Louis Phillips, once speculated to be LA County's richest man, for 25 years until his death, and his wife, Esther Phillips until her death in 1918. The Phillips’ grandson then inherited the house and sold the property in the 1940’s. The new owners divided the Mansion into apartments and altered the original property beyond recognition. In the 1960’s the Mansion became vacant and was ignored and vandalized. The Historical Society of Pomona Valley purchased the Phillips Mansion in 1966 for $45,000 to prevent it from being torn down completely, and in 1974 the Phillips Mansion was added to the National Registry of Historical places. In 1990, the Mansion was temporarily closed due to earthquake damage. Today, the Mansion is being retrofitted and restored to its 19th century design, and the exterior is now much as it was when Louis and Esther Phillips lived there.
2640 Pomona Boulevard
Completed in 1875
Eight rooms, first in the valley to have gas lighting, 3-foot-thick walls, 16-foot-high ceilings, 6 fireplaces, cherry and maple woodwork
The original property was on a 12,000 acre ranch with several barns and outbuildings